Tuesday, March 13, 2012

3 Crafts in 3 Days

I don't know what has gotten into me, but I've all of a sudden embraced the idea of crafting.

It's justified, though, because instead of buying over-priced, mass-produced pieces of junk, I can make my own one-of-a-kind piece of junk reusing stuff that would generally end up in a landfill. Plus, it's an outlet for me and I desperately need of that.

The I.D.E.A. store in indispensable for getting crafty stuff really inexpensively. I especially love them because all of their items are donated, which is super green, and the money raised supports our local schools. This weekend they had a frame sale and I got a black lacquer frame for 50 cents. This quickly and easily became my to-do list dry erase board for the kitchen, just by adding a piece of scrapbook paper and some letters.

At The I.D.E.A. store I also spotted these vases for a quarter a piece and a bunch of silk daffodils (I can't remember the cost of those, but probably 50 cents too). So Tey, Mei and I filled the vases with rice and stuck in the flowers and now we have a spring-theme mantle. I'm not sure if I will add more to this. I kinda like its simplicity.

Tonight I made a moss monogram. I had to borrow a glue gun from a friend because I didn't even have one. Truthfully, I don't think I've ever even used one before. I told you I wasn't crafty! Anyway, I cut an "E" from recycled cardboard, which surprisingly took me almost 10 minutes to do. Then I spent another 20 minutes hot gluing moss to it. Lastly I glued magnets to the back, so it would stick to our front door.

I'd much prefer to have spring-y ribbon to hold it up but because I'm not generally crafty, I don't just have some lying around. This will have to do. Our front door is our magnetic letter door anyway, so I may just run with this idea and keep making seasonal monograms.

Thanks to dear lillie blog for the monogram idea, and to makeandtakes.com for the wipe off board idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment